Decking the Halls






Over the last decade, my parents have invited the grandchildren over to decorate their revolving, sparkling Martha Stewart Christmas tree.  This weekend was no exception.  We arrived to a bare tree and boxes of bows, balls, and ornaments, and by the end of the night, the tree is decked out from head to toe.  I love that they have favourite ornaments to hang, and they feel just as close to the ornaments with which my sister and I grew up coveting.  My favourite ornaments are the cream embroidered and stuffed stars that my mum made one year when I was in high school.  I also especially love the crystal beaded icicles that my sister, my mum and I slaved over for an entire afternoon so many years ago.  Maybe 25 years ago?   And now our children squeal when they pull out an icicle or the ceramic sled with all of their names written on it.  It's gold!

And then my mum makes a big dinner worthy of Christmas day.  This year was roast beef and gravy, mashed potatoes, baby carrots, corn and dinner rolls.  I brought pie and ice cream and cookies.  We ate until we were stuffed.  Naturally the board games were dragged out, and we ended up playing Apples to Apples.  My throat was killing me by the end of the night from all the screaming, laughing and joking around.  It was CRAZY fun.  I was in tears.  And everyone except the two little girls played - they took advantage of this time by moving every piece of my parents' furniture in the basement and building the biggest fort ever made. 

We had such a great time that we rolled up into our driveway well after midnight!

Clearly, this is happiness.  I am so grateful that I have my family, and we enjoy each other's company.  I am ever so thankful for our good health and good fortune.   I have everything I need.

N

7 comments:

OrangeHeroMama said...

That sounds like a WONDERFUL evening! You are blessed with what sounds like an amazing family :)

knitty_kat said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your tree chick!

AND nice assist today, next time I want to see a goal ;)

Knit and Purl Mama said...

What a lovely time spent! Sounds like a nice family tradition.

LaurieM said...

Beautiful! What bliss. I think time spent with family is what I'm looking forward to most this Christmas.

Anonymous said...

These are the traditions I love most - the gathering of families and celebrating the spirit of the holidays. It's so beautiful.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. So nice to "meet" someone else from my own town. That never happens. :)
Looks like we have lots in common and that you and your family do lots of fun stuff. Very cool.

I've seen tons of concerts at Aeolian Hall and agree with you...never seen a bad show. How lucky are we to have that place.

Enjoy the rest of the holiday season. Blessings, Debbie

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

Awesome! You're one lucky woman.

Anonymous said...

I really like your site. Will keep checking back here

Decking Timber