Little House on the Conservation Area




I found my paradise in the form of a pioneer village.   We learned about printing presses, really tiny fonts, making ink from soot, carding and drafting wool, singing God Save the Queen, churning and molding butter, and living in a one-room homestead.  It was awesome.  We only saw half of the village, so I'm eager to return and visit the rest.  I'm packing a bag.  Wonder if it would get wi-fi.  Hmmm. 

N

PS. The littlest and I are reading The Little House on the Prairie every night before bed, and I'm amazed that I've made it this far in life without reading this series.  We've just finished chapter 9 in which Pa has built a fireplace for their new house on the prairie.  I was super relieved last night/chapter 8 when Laura helped Pa build a door to replace the ol' quilt that hung over the doorway.  I barely slept a wink after chapter 7 in which a giant pack of 50 or so of the biggest wolves that Pa had ever seen surrounded the house howling at the moon.  I honestly don't think that Pa and his gun and Jack the scruffy dog would have been a match had the wolves stormed the quilt-covered opening to the house.  Evidently I am quite consumed by this book.  I'm going to freak out when they have to move house again.  Just saying.

5 comments:

Hall in the Kitchen said...

I read all those books at least twice when I was young ..Loved them..and the TV show!

Lori said...

i LOVE pioneer village places! I think I would fit right in living there (if, as you mentioned, there was wifi...)

Somehow I never read the Little House book(s?) when I was a kid. I don't know how that happened, as I was rarely without a book in hand. I had all kinds of other series and prairie type stories were my favorites... Perhaps I should read them now? We also didn't get the show so I've never seen any of the TV series. I have to just nod & smile when people reference the characters.

Pie for the Eye said...

Oh I loved Little House when I was younger! It was one of the first chapter books I read to my girls (more for me than them I'm sure). We love pioneer Village too... we usually go each year in spring when it's a quarter(?) to get in. My dh just rolls his eyes when we mention going again... I think I might try to go at Christmas this year too.

knitty_kat said...

OoOoOo! Look at all the stuff you've been busy doing . . and playing with that 50mm! Looky good!

Knit and Purl Mama said...

It looks so peaceful there!