Is it a bird? Is it a plane?

No! It's a toe-up sock! That's right. I learned another fancy-pants technique - Judy's magic cast-on. It's brilliant.Starting a new project and learning a new technique was my reward for finishing the Candy Cane/Canada Day plain stripey stockinette socks. I used no pattern - I just used the first one to measure against for the second sock and just made it up as I went. That's the nice thing about socks - once you've made one and throw all caution to the wind, you can do just about anything! Really!

And just to show you that it's not all about the socks here, I am working on my lace ribbon scarf very diligently. I love this scarf. It will be just for me. It is so flippin' soft and drapey and all lovely and most precious.
This is what B was doing this morning while she was eating her cereal. I must point out that we just dropped a LOAD on new windows, and I kind of forgot to warn J that it was nothing to freak about since the markers were special window writers. Of course I was busy chatting away on the phone when I actually heard him stop breathing. Poor guy. Must remember to communicate quicker! I like this little depiction of a princess - see the emerald diamond in her crown. Super cute.

Off to brew some coffee and sit down with my newest sock project - I have to learn how to knit the heel when knitting toe-up! Eek. I've also been knitting to the Pretty In Pink soundtrack - who doesn't love a good dose of The Smiths, Echo & the Bunnymen, New Order and Orchestral Manouvres in the Dark??? I borrowed the movie from the library, and I forced El to watch it this weekend. I'm not sure what my next childrearing move into the teen years might look like - Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, or Weird Science? If J can introduce the kid to Dr. Who and some other really weird sci-fi tv shows, I think I can foist some retro 80's movies on her. I was so in love with James Spader and Anthony Michael Hall and Andrew McCarthy. Oh they were so dreamy then! I could spend all night linking all my favourite flashbacks, but that's seriously enough. Next up: dread Monday.

Cheers!

N

5 comments:

Montreal Mama said...

Toe up socks are fun!I took a class with Kate Gilbert to learn toe up socks/ 2 socks at 1 time on 1 circ :)

kataish said...

Yay Dr Who! I vote for Breakfast Club. Its the most kid-friendly movie I think.

Heres a link to the tutorial I learned tow up socks from:
http://www.webdesignsbybarb.com/tostetoes/twosocksoneneedletoeup.htm

It mostly makes sense, but I'd reccommend printing it out and following along for your first few times. I still do, but just for the heel.

I LOVE the magic cast on. It looks so pretty.

knitty_kat said...

ba ha ha. It's a freaking awesome toe dood - now yet gonna be hooked. (hee, I hope I created a monster)

Anonymous said...

Love to know what yarn you're using for the scarf. It's beautiful!
The stripey socks are too cute...I'm off to check out Judy's magic cast on...

Katherine said...

Hold up: you were in love with Anthony Michael Hall?