Using Up the Lunch Apples

Don't let the tin foil plate fool you.  I made this entire pie from scratch.  The pastry and the pie filling.  See, we buy lots of apples for lunches.  Work lunches and school lunches.  This isn't to say that they get eaten.  I also unpack lots of apples at the end of each work and school day.  The girls rarely eat them.  The cookies and popcorn are always gone, but the apples mysteriously return home.  Another reason I always have a mountain of apples, besides no one eating them, is that one daughter will only eat green apples and the other, only red, so I buy double what we could realistically eat.  I'm indiscriminate when it comes to eating apples.  I will eat any put in front of me.  I also like to smell them.  But I really can't eat ALL of the apples myself.  So every couple of weeks, I am forced to come to terms with a load of rotting apples.  I make a lot of applesauce because I am really lazy.  This week, I cracked open a veritable cookbook, and I was lured by the recipe name - Best Ever Apple Pie.  Hells ya.  It was fairly easy with the exception of peeling and slicing many an apple.  I did good.  My only complaint is my timing.  How come I didn't churn this baby out Easter weekend or another time when I was needing to dazzle friends and family with my superb baking skills.  I really like to be fawned over.   Instead the four of us sat around with forks hunched over the table  in our pyjamas, and admittedly there were some mumbles and grunts and empty plates that indicated a job well done. Who am I kidding?  That'll do.  I'ma gonna take it however I can get it.  The next day, I went to the Goodwill and picked myself up a glass pie plate.  I'm set.

N

5 comments:

Montreal Mama said...

Oh, that does look best ever. Now I'm hungry.

OrangeHeroMama said...

OH dear god. Now i need to make a frickin' apple pie.
And also, now i need to remember to NOT show MrScrappy the cool stuff that i find on the internet(ie your GORGEOUS pie)..cause now he wants me to make a pie too. lol.
Can i come over and you make the crust for me? or show me how to make it look so darn FABULOUS?! :D

Balkan Style Bloggers said...

Thanks, ladies! And Christy, we should totally plan a pastry baking night! I want to pastry-ize everything in sight.

LaurieM said...

It's a beautiful pie! Worthy of a special event.

Other ideas to induce kids to eat apples (just not quite lunch box ideas) include slices sprinkled with cinnamon and slices spread with peanut butter. I use these alternatives as TV snacks.

knitty_kat said...

I'm totally drooling here! Have you considered:
a) an apple peeler from Lee Valley? (J - hint hint!)
b) making one for me?
c) apple dumplings. With butterscotch?
d) make some of those for me too please!