Jackpot!

The Bumblebee likes reading.  Let me clarify.  She likes me reading while she listens.  And that's cool.  In the last few years, we have read Charlotte's Web, Nancy Drew, Anne of Green Gables, and lots of Little House on the Prairie books.  I'm a sucker for reading.   Just before Christmas, the Bumblebee discovered the Bad Kitty books, and suddenly she wasn't waiting for me to read to her, and before I knew it, she had finished all of the Bad Kitty books, and I hadn't read a single page.  I felt a little left out.  I could hear her laughing in bed and staying up late to finish "just one more chapter".   And so the quest began to search out another series that would equally encourage this solo reading.  She had seen the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie and expressed interest in reading the book.  The library came to the rescue last week, and she's flying through the first book.  And this week, the second in the series came in, and it's just waiting in the wings.  I'd have to say I'm enamoured of this little one flipping through the pages and chuckling to herself.   I admit I've snuck in bed beside her and listened to her read aloud, and this Wimpy Kid is hilarious.   Maybe not the classic headstrong female heroine I've been pushing on her for the last while, but I'll take it if it means that she continues to love reading.  :)

N

5 comments:

Lori said...

Love this anecdote. If she's reading because she enjoys it this much now I think you've got a lifelong reader on your hands!

Before you know it she'll be sneaking a flashlight (or propping open the dark curtains in the summer) so she can read after lights out. Or was that just me?

~RaenWa~ said...

I remember being a kid at bedtime when I was suppose to be sleeping I would be under the blanket with a flashlight reading a book.

Tara said...

I did the flashlight thing too! And my oldest (almost 7) stays up way past bedtime reading. Can't really complain about that. And we loved the first Wimpy Kid book too.

Knit and Purl Mama said...

I'm trying to raise my boys readers too. I'm a reader... hubby not so much. My entire family is readers.. (brother, sister, mom & dad)

LJ said...

I've heard Diary of a Wimpy Kid is great, but we haven't read it yet. I love this pic. The lighting is awesome.