Oatmeal two ways

My nephew hates oatmeal.  When a bowl of oatmeal is placed in front of him he refuses to eat it.  He prefers to have just the milk and brown sugar if that's ok and hold the oatmeal.  I gotta agree with the kid.  I've tried to like oatmeal and I tell myself that it's good for me but I'm still gagging down those last four of five spoonfuls.  I think it's a texture thing.  That's why I've started making oatmeal in different ways.  One way is to bake it.  You get all of the goodness of oatmeal, minus the gluey texture.  I like my baked oatmeal with a tiny bit of butter and maple syrup.  It's almost like having cake for breakfast.

Lately my most favorite way to have oatmeal is through homemade granola.  In addition to my dislike for gruel-y oatmeal, I have many food allergies like nuts and fruits.  Most of the granola in the stores contain at least one thing that I am allergic to.  If I make my own I know exactly what's in it and it tastes amazing to boot.  I love this stuff and prefer eating it by the handful.  No milk, no yogurt, just straight up, although  both ways are also pretty tasty.

T's Very Best Granola Recipe
Try your own mix-ins to suit your taste.  If you'd like to add dried fruit, add it during the last ten minutes of baking.

2/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup maple syrup or agave syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups quick oats
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup rice cereal
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pecan pieces

Heat oven to 300 degrees F.  In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, rice cereal, and wheat germ.  Set aside.  In a microwave proof bowl add the peanut butter and maple syrup.  Heat in the microwave on high for 30 seconds.  Remove and give it a mix.  Return to microwave for another 30 seconds.  Remove and stir in the vanilla and cinnamon.  Pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal mixture and toss until well coated.  Sprinkle in the brown sugar and toss to coat.  Spread the mixture evenly onto a large sheet pan with sides.  Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally.  After time is up stir in the seeds and nuts and return to oven for another 10 minutes.  Cool and store in airtight container for up to two weeks if it lasts that long.

1 comments:

Tara said...

I love homemade granola too.I'll have to try your recipe once my oven is fixed, hopefully soon. I noticed this morning that I only have about one serving of granola left.