Hope

A few months back, I cried and cried tears of happiness when Obama was elected President. I can't remember if I shared that, but I did. I stayed up way past my bedtime, and I sat cross-legged on the bed with my eyes glued to the little tv set, and I prayed and prayed that Obama would get just enough votes to win. With absolute relief, I wept more than I thought possible. It was as if my life had depended on it. My lord, I'm not even American. The next day, I skipped to work with a perma-grin.

Today I relived that high. I celebrated with a latte and hugs. My hands shook. I had to take a deep breath and focus. Good does triumph. I was reminded of the people that paved the way to today, and it made me sad that they weren't with me to rejoice. And I remembered the timbit that made headlines, and how powerful one voice can be. Speak up and you will be lifted. But oh how scary speaking up can be. My nerves have been slightly frayed for some time now. But today, there is light and so much flippin' hope that it's spilling all over. I know it's all a bit hieroglyphic, but I just wanted to express that today was good, and it was good because instead of complaining and allowing myself to be treated with disrespect, I did something. Good people did something. Clouds have been lifted!! My heart is dancing like Elaine. It truly is. Sigh. A round of hugs on me!

N

3 comments:

c.Rachel said...

Sharing your joy & triumph and hugs right back at ya!

knitty_kat said...

I'm still so proud of you! It's not an easy thing to do . .and that you all succeeded is even better. Congrats!

Katherine said...

You are amazing, truly. I'm in awe. Yay for good!!