A Masterpiece Unveiled


Ok, so maybe not a masterpiece, not even close, but it IS my first attempt at crochet. Luckily this will be a dish cloth so the uneven edges where I keep dropping stitches wont matter too much, and the picture above is not showing depth but rather my dish cloth getting progressively smaller at the top due to the dropped stitches. My friend gave me a lovely set of crochet hooks for my birthday and the promise of crochet lessons, the first one happening today at our monthly crafty meet-ups. She was such a patient teacher that I'm somewhat ashamed of my first project, however, I'll keep at it and hopefully improve. I don't know how many of you knit as well as crochet but I'd be interested in finding out which one you think is easier. As a knitter, I find crochet to be more fluid and knitting to be more exact. Does that make sense? I like the exactness of knitting but maybe with more experience I'll get the rhythm of the art of crochet. I must admit that it was quite fun, albeit a bit of a disaster.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first attempt at crocheting also turned out to be a dishcloth and yes, it was as wonky as yours! I kept losing stitches too. I don't crochet much but I do like how quick crocheting is compared to knitting. What do you plan to make in your first crochet project?
salihan@gmail.com

c.Rachel said...

My mom taught me to crochet when I was 10 or so. She taught me just the basic stitches [single & double]. I didn't know about turning chains until a couple of years ago. I find crocheting so much easier to understand. I like working with ONE hook too. I like it that when I make a mistake I can just pull the yarn out and go to where the mistake happened and redo it. I think crochet is more forgiving that way. When I was knitting a lace pattern scarf and made a mistake, I had to rip it all out and start over. I'm still a beginner knitter so I don't know all the tricks.

If there was a sock pattern in crochet, I would try it out. Still scare to tackle knitting some socks.

Your dish cloth looks good! That's a great start to a new craft.

Katherine said...

I only crochet on the edges of knitting, so I can't help much. I will say that your dishcloth looks much nicer than my first knitting project. ; ) You should try a hat - they're supposed to get smaller as you go. ; )

OrangeHeroMama said...

You have inspired me to try and make a dishcloth today! :D
I have always wanted to learn the art of crocheting and knitting...and i think crochet might be the place for me to go, if it's "faster and more fluid"..hmmm..

and i totally love all things wonky, so this dishcloth is FAB! and besides, it has a story!

jana said...

great work!
i am still trying to wrap my head around crochet.

Wendy said...

I've taken this month to finally learn how to crochet as well. My first attempts look just as wonky, so don't feel so bad. One thing that I learned that helps those edges is to take a cordinating color and go twice around the outer edge to frame the cloth with a sc. To provent puckering in the corners, do a sc, ch, sc. Somehow it helps to even it all out.

knitty_kat said...

Hey T! I think it's pretty darn good. My Gran used to make doilies in her sleep, some how I never learned from her.