30 Days of Happiness::Simple innovations

Necessity is the mother of invention, yes? Maybe I'm pushing it a little bit with this phrase but although we love our little house in the trees (we live on the second and third floors of a large, old house) there are not many places with good light for photography. I've had to wait for moments when the light would be just soft enough or just bright enough to photograph objects. And then it would still take some tweaking on iPhoto. So after some booting around on the internet (surely not during work time!) I finally came upon these instructions and having all of the materials listed at home, promptly set out to assemble my very own light box.

This is a photo taken without the light box. It's somewhat acceptable but the colour is way off.Here are the same socks taken in the light box. A notable difference in colour and the texture is more visible.A pottery turtle sans light box.
Pottery turtle hanging out in the light box.
Not a significant difference, however, it's not perfect yet. For one, you can clearly see the shadows where the cardboard did not fit perfectly in the corners of the plastic bin. I'm going to keep playing around with it and try multiple light sources (I only used one for this first try), different backgrounds, maybe diffuse the light by draping different materials around the box. At least I will no longer have to wait for the very small window of time when the light is good in the house. A small victory for simple innovation.

5 comments:

Balkan Style Bloggers said...

I LOVE it!! I can do this! Bravo on the Monkeys too. I probably said it before, but I'll say it again. Good job for your first pair of socks. I also love that we posted within minutes of each other. Brilliant.

Salihan said...

That's a great little light box you got there! The photos looks much more professional. -me@salihan.com

EVILFLU said...

That's amazing and such a simple set-up! Thanks for sharing! :)

C. said...

WOW, big difference.

Montreal Mama said...

What a great set-up!